Monday, March 16, 2009

I should be sleeping....

yet here I am pecking away at my computer.

I have, what I like to call, a NON sleeper. I joke, that I could count the number of times on one hand, that she has actually slept through the night in her six YEARS of life. But seriously, that is not far from the truth. Most nights she actually goes to sleep in her own bed. It is rare that she stays there. Most mornings I find her snug as a bug on the couch. That's fine...whatever works...she didn't wake me to get there. Don't get me wrong, I am a sympathetic mom...sometimes. Like on the nights that she makes her way to my side of our bed crying...because she has had a bad dream. Yes, she has been having bad dreams since before she outgrew her crib. She will actually tell us about them, so I'm very confident that she really has them. On those nights, I feel for her. I am sympathetic and comforting. I actually let her crawl in bed next to me and I hold her close until I can tell she has drifted off, or until she starts to thrash around...at which point I make my way out of bed and onto the couch.
But then there are nights like tonight....when for no obvious reason, she comes to me crying. Not whimper-like crying, but wake (almost)everyone in the house-like crying....actually, wailing would better describe it. And when I say (almost), what I really mean is ME. When I ask her what is wrong, she cries louder. When I try to explain that I can't help her if I don't know what the problem is, she gets even louder! (At which point everyone else in the house really should be awake...but it's still just the two of us.) I ask if she has had a bad dream....wailing, she shakes her head. At my wits end and very un-sympathetic, I explain that it is the middle of the night. Everyone else is sleeping and she should be too. I tell her to lay down, close her eyes and not another sound! Amazingly she does just that...and soon she is asleep. And here I sit....wide awake and pecking at my computer. Oh the joys of being a momma....and I wouldn't trade these nights for anything....almost!

Here's hoping that you got a great night of sleep!!

1 comment:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

At our house we call those the oggedy-boggedys. (I have no idea how to spell that, I have never written that out) My oldest daughter is the worst out of all three. She is actually still asleep while she does it.

I haven't slept the whole night in over eleven years now!!

I came back and became your newest follower!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin